Thursday, July 9, 2009

Special Report: The House of Deputies

There are over 800 deputies in attendance at the HOD (House of Deputies) in addition to alternates, members of the press, visitors, volunteers and staff. Each deputation has 2 tables and a post declaring the name of their diocese, some of which sport a mascot or other item representing the geographic area from which the group hails. There are flags representing each country in the Episcopal Church and lots of microphones, speakers, and a video system so that everyone can see, hear and be heard. The room in which we conduct business is so large (obviously, 1000 people have to be able to work there) that I couldn't get very many good photos of it, but I thought I'd show you a couple to give you a basic idea of what it looks like.


This is the view from my chair in the second row. This is about a third of the room.This is about half of the front stage. On the other side, there is an identical screen, more tables for the various aides, and on either side of the stage is the seating area for the HOD pages. If you look to the left, you can see the Secretary of the HOD who wears a new crazy sports jacket every day. I'll be sure to get a picture of that soon too. :)


Getting to work on the floor feels amazing. At the beginning of each session, I get to walk in the doors with my credentials around my neck and get waived past the volunteers carefully guarding the entrance to the floor. I'm carrying the Blue Book, my binder with updated calendars and legislation and other papers, my Robert's Rules of Order, my knitting, and other official items. There's a click-click-click of high heels and chattering of many other deputies there to serve their church, busily preparing themselves mentally and physically for the next session. It's a little like working at Congress might be, I think. I feel important and special, I'll admit it. But I hope the work we get done there is more important and special, and I think we're off to a good start. I feel very connected to and important legislative body with a rich history and I could not be prouder to be a part of this. It's a lot of work, the days are long and exhausting and sometimes it's a bit of hurry up and wait, but it's all very, very worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment