Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 5 - Truth and Love

The following is a word-for-word copy of what I posted to www.spokanediocese.net because I think it's pretty good and I just don't want to blog twice since it's already quite late. Enjoy!

***

Love without truth is sentimentality; truth without love is brutality. This was a quote shared with us in prayer by Chaplain Frank Wade during our afternoon legislative session and I resonated with it deeply. Fr. Wade lead us in prayer with these words by special request prior to voting on resolution D025 "Commitment and Witness to Anglican Communion". I am so grateful he did so because it speaks to the context in which we should be living out mission every day, but especially here at General Convention.

Resolution D025 was drafted in response to B033 which was passed at the last General Convention and which urged restraint concerning the election of bishops whose "manner of life" would cause offense to the wider Anglican Communion. Many resolutions were proposed to address B033, some which specifically repealed it, some which proposed alterations to our cannons which would effectively negate any previous resolution, and one which took a "via media," a middle way. D025 was this middle way. (The text of this resolution can be found here: http://gc2009.org/ViewLegislation/view_leg_detail.aspx?id=986&type=Current . This version shows both the original language and the perfected language offered by the Committee on World Mission.)

So, we in the House of Deputies found ourselves addressing a very sensitive and important issue. I knew it was coming because we have been talking about it extensively over the last 5 days, both in committee hearings where testimonies were given and language perfected, and in a special committee of the whole where the entire house had the opportunity to discuss B033 and related issues and then testify to the entire house. We even had the honor to hear from the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, and other leaders from around the Anglican Communion, from Brazil to Canada to South Africa and beyond. The longer we all spoke, the more I tried to listen. I don't mean hear, I mean listen, and listen prayerfully. This was extremely challenging because my personal experience leads me to want immediate and unequivocal inclusion of all God's children while avoiding the inevitable conflicts. Unfortunately for me, God's will tends to supersede my own and it is generally not fulfilled within the time frame I might hope. Perhaps more importantly, as I have learned firsthand so far this week, God is reflected in all of us and it is in listening prayerfully to others that we discern God's will.

Thus, with prayer beads in hand, I listened and prayed. And then I voted. I voted in favor of the resolution. I voted in favor of it because I think it clearly and accurately states where we are as a church and it celebrates and reaffirms our commitment to our fruitful relationship with the rest of the Anglican Communion. It recognizes what I think is the most beautiful characteristic of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion: that although we are not of one mind on such matters, we are all Christians of good conscience, which to me means we value and love and will continue to commune with one another. Some expressed a fear which I expect is prevalent within our church – that taking any action on this matter would cause further schism within the Anglican Communion and we should maintain the status quo until a better time. I agree with the Archbishop on this matter; as he said in his sermon to the convention a couple of days ago, if the Anglican Communion thought they could continue on perfectly well without the Episcopal Church, we wouldn't have a problem. D025 only passed the House of Deputies and has yet to be considered by the House of Bishops, so the ultimate effect remains to be seen. It is my fervent hope and prayer that this decision, even if the resolution is defeated by the bishops, will continue to fuel deep and prayerful discussion, debate, and discernment. Personally, I hope also that it passes because I feel it has great potential to heal our church and renew our relationships worldwide. More than that, though, I hope the Holy Spirit will continue to work through us here at GC so that we may discern God's will and carry out the mission we have been called to carry out. There is much yet to be explored, many people to meet and issues to address on the house floor. Please, keep us in your prayers as we strive to discern the truth and live it out in love, to love others while speaking the truth – for love without truth is sentimentality, and truth without love is brutality.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Beyond legislation, today was a wonderful day of learning for me. I attended the Episcopal Women's Caucus breakfast this morning along with Pia, Kristi and Carolyn of our deputation. Being quite a young woman (not yet 23), I was not present for women's struggle to first become ordained as priests and later consecrated as bishops. As I learned at the breakfast, it was 20 years ago that Barbara Harris was ordained as the first female bishop in the Anglican Communion and 35 years ago that the Philadelphia 11 were ordained as the first female priests. First, I felt very proud to be in a church that values women and shows it through allowing them to participate fully as baptized members, but as the speakers continued I became aware of gender gaps which still exist both in pay and job acquisition. As one of my favourite songs from the Broadway show Hairspray says, we've come so far but we've got so far to go. This seems to be the case in most situations where it comes to lifting up minorities and valuing "the other," whoever the other might be. But I have a newfound respect and admiration for the women who came before me, but also for the ladies who work continually now, particularly the amazing women I met at the Episcopal Women's Caucus and the Episcopal Church Women. They work tirelessly on behalf of women, who serve God in many capacities and who help carry out our mission as a church in ways that 20 or 30 years ago they weren't permitted to. I admire all those called to servant leadership but especially the women who fought so hard to serve their church.

Clearly, this was a long day full of important events. I was very relieved to get to end the day with a dinner with most of our deputation and others from the diocese. Each day is so full that sometimes getting a good meal is nearly impossible, but the California Pizza Kitchen took great care of us! Tomorrow is yet another day likely to be filled with surprises and milestones. After five days of meetings, exactly half of the convention, I feel as though I have been here forever and that I have gained immense insight into church governance, human relationship and interactions and mission, but I am also humbled to realize how much work there is yet to do here and out in the rest of the world and how much experience I have yet to gain. Let us hope for success!

***

PS, on the superficial end of things the Verger's Guild was giving out plastic cups with the convention seal on them which turn purple when cold liquid is in them. It's basically the sweetest thing I've ever had ever! And I bought "The Episcopalian Handbook" which is basically the survivor's guide to being Anglican. A must-read for all!

Checking out the menu at the delicious CPK

A glass of merlot with good company. Dignity, always dignity.


Happy Anniversary, Bob and MaryBeth!


Episco-celeb sightings: Bishop Frank Griswold (former Presiding Bishop of TEC), Bishop Barbara Harris (first woman ever consecrated as bishop in the Anglican Communion). Not too shabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment