Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 2 - Taking a Stand

The days are getting increasingly difficult to remember since they are so jam-packed.

Today was the first session of the committee of the whole, which is very special because we have not had one since 1976 when the discussion and debate was over the ordination of women. We spent 30 minutes having a conversation one-on-one with someone from a different deputation whom we had never met before about resolution B033 (passed at the last general convention) which prevents anyone whose manner of life may cause difficulties in the wider Anglican Communion. This essentially bars allowing LGBT priests to be elected as bishops. I spoke with a gentleman from Minnesota named Bob who I would say is about 10 years older than my parents. We essentially agreed on all points around the issue that we were able to touch upon, which I found rather disappointing; I had really hoped to hear from someone with a very different perspective in order to better understand it, but it's fairly likely I'll hear more from the other side on Friday.

I feel proud and involved to share this next bit: in the evening, I spoke to the committe on Program, Budget and Finance (PB&F) on behalf of a resolution supporting camping ministries. The purpose of my talk was to ask them to fund a B003, which was already passed in the House of Deputies and which would provide training to staff and other camp leaders in how to effectively teach Christian formation. A picture of me signing up to speak was published in the next day's edition of The Daily, a publication put out by Episcopal Life chronicling GC. It's on page 7; here's a link to the PDF: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/documents/Daily03_071009.pdf. And here is the text of what I said based on my notes and my recollection:

"Hello, my name is Ashley Miller, Deputy from the Diocese of Spokane and I am here to speak in support of Resolution B003. I worked in our diocesan summer camp for two summers and returned last summer as a volunteer counselor where I met Cassi. Cassi immigrated here from Puerto RIco and she lives in a poor rural area of Washington. Her family has a long history of alcoholism and mental illness and she was sent for a week of camp by her DSHS caseroker. She was only able to connect through Spanish; through Spanish she came alive. As luck would have it, my major was Spanish and only through my major and my own Christian formation was I able to support her and attempt to teach her about our church and God's love.

I am very proud of the work Episcopal summer camps are doing, but we cannot let this vital ministry brimming with opportunities to serve and support kids like Cassie and young adults like me pass us by. Staff at these camps need the tools to serve all campers in both English and Spanish, which B003 would provide, helping to grow the next generation of faith while paying special attention to immigrant and under-served populations. Please support B003. Thank you."

Another highlight of the day was Eucharist where the PB presided and the ABC, Rowan Williams, gave the sermon. That man is one of the most eloquent speakers and intelligent theologians I have ever had the absolute blessing of hearing. As is required of his office, he asked (very politely, meditatively and appropriately, I think) that we not make any choices that might further tear apart the Anglican Communion. His thoughtful words inspired me to pause and look inward, as was their intent. As we continue to discuss heated issues and explore language and legislation prayerfully we'll see what the results will be.

I also ate at California Pizza Kitchen for dinner. With our absurdly busy schedule, food has taken on a new focus for me. Getting time to eat is amazing... :)


Episco-celeb sightings for the day: the PB, the ABC, and - finally! - Bishop Jim Waggoner of Spokane!
He's dealing with his back injury much better now that he has that scooter! It has turn signals and everything so he can get around in much less pain, but as he put it when I was holding a door open for him, "it takes a village". Feel better soon, Bish!

No comments:

Post a Comment