Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day .75

Today was full of pre-convention prep as tomorrow is the first official legislative day.

First, I got up very early to go to a new deputy orientation that was supposed to start at 8am but as it turns out, this was a scheduling mistake and the event didn't actually exists. So, I ended up spending a few minutes in my room actually waking up and then headed over to a legislative committee - Prayer Book, Liturgy and Music. They mostly discussed Same-Sex Unions which is the subject of a few resolutions and which will be addressed in hearings on Thursday afternoon. This means that on that day, we'll hear testimony from witnesses (which can include me if I feel so moved to speak) either for or against the matter and then the committee may or may not make changes to the resolution(s) and then make a recommendation based on those testimonies to the House floors. It's a pretty cool processes, as open and transparent as possible, allowing for a lot of input, I think.

After that I went to In-N-Out for lunch with Bryan, Pia and Paul from my deputation. It's the quintessential California dining experience, and it was DELISH!

I went back to another hearing for the same committee later this evening, this time talking about and taking testimonies on Holy Women, Holy Men, a proposed list of people to be included in Lesser Feasts and Fasts for optional use. There was a lot of complex discussion on this one and it got sent to a subcommittee and will be brought up again tomorrow. I'll be tracking the issue and updating my deputation on it, with others.

Anyhow, I saw the House floor for the first time today. Because one member of our deputation, Brian Prior, is Vice President of the House of Deputies, we're seated in the VERY front row and in the very center of the entire ballroom. I'll be sure to take and post pictures as soon as possible because it's really quite striking. After a rather long day I enjoyed a glass of wine with Pia and am now going to get some much needed sleep! There's another huge day tomorrow, including (hopefully) getting to see the Archbishop of Canterbury!

Episco-celeb sightings today: Bishop Gene Robinson, Bonnie Anderson (President of the House of Deputies)

No comments:

Post a Comment